Gordon Green Initiative.
Gordon has worked closely with its vendor base to develop a sustainable environmental policy that balances the essential need for comprehensive green ambitions with the limitations inherent in materials used across the contract furniture universe. The manufacturing process for metals, plastics, woods and upholstery materials is inherently impactful on the environment, and will continue to influence our planet well into the future.
Our objective is to align ourselves with resources that are mindful of ‘Life Cycle Assessment’ policy, fully engaged in the use of completely recyclable materials, and working toward a comprehensive set of efficiency standards – from materials usage to systems and work flows.
Inspired by the global leadership our European design partners have made mandatory within their organizations, Gordon has developed a work environment that strives for the levels of commitment to a green future that are fundamental to the ISO standards Europe demands. Standards that far exceed the levels of commitment required within the United States.
Gordon Environmental Sustainability Policy.Gordon Environmental Statement
We are proud to represent some of Europe’s leaders in these areas, and to promote product designs in the United States that are compliant with the rigorous standards of ISO 9001 (quality management) and ISO 14001 (environmental management). 14001 certification standards set the bar for mindful environmental policy today, and represent the most comprehensive approach to good environmental stewardship in the global furniture industry.
A general outline of our contribution to the contract furniture industry’s green initiative:
- We are fully engaged in the use of recyclable materials. Frames and shells are 99% recyclable after use and often include more than 30% recycled components
- We offer a comprehensive range of fabrics, leathers and vinyls that are sensitive to environmental concerns, including vegetable dyed leathers and pvc-free upholstery options, to reduce environmental impact.
- Products incorporate pre-consumer and post-consumer recycled materials
- Wood components are from FSC certified wood resources
- U.S. registered, SBA approved, federal contract holder, Gordon is as a domestic manufacturer
- Production in central NJ – within 500 mile radius of many project destinations
- OEM Production Facilities ISO 14001- Environmental Systems
- OEM Production Facilities ISO 9001- Quality Management Systems
- Lean OEM manufacturing environments promote improvements in the production process. Reductions in environmental waste focus on such considerations as excess energy, water use, hazardous waste and solid waste disposal.
- Packaging corrugated cardboard materials and containers used for packaging and transport of furniture products made with a minimum of 35% recycled material – GI cartons are from 100% recycled material
- Parts replacement and service available – extending product life cycle
- Contract durability with a 10 year warranty – assures extensive life cycle
- Product reclamation program: if your product becomes obsolete in your business plans, contact Gordon for reclamation options. We will work with you to efficiently recycle your products, either locally or by having you return them to our location. If you choose to return product to our facilities, we will incorporate all materials into our existing reclamation structure, revitalizing usable elements, and properly channeling remaining components through a rigorous set of local public and private recycling partners.
ISO 9001 sets out the criteria for a quality management system, based on a number of principles including strong customer focus, the motivation and implication of top management, the process approach and continual improvement. These principles are explained in more detail in ISO’s quality management principles.
The global recycling icon indicates that the associated product is 99% recyclable.
ISO 14001 is an internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It helps organizations improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.